Beans are easily the best part about becoming a vegetarian. Before I used to apologize for my love of baked beans, thinking they’re associated with, errr…, tooting and THEREFORE not an appropriate choice of food for any self-respecting person.
But now? Pshhhhh!
I am loud and proud about my love of beans. Not only are they a fantastic source of protein, they are quite easily my favorite thing to eat. Versatile, affordable, DELICIOUS… what’s not to love?
PLUS I am happy to report that my digestive system has made the adjustment well and so even though you’re probably thinking, “I bet she’s farting her tits off…”
Not so, people. Not. So.
Refried Black Beans with Cumin & Lime
Huevos Rancheros made by Heather Pardon
Black Bean Tacos
Mmm… The Amazingness of Refried Black Beans
As taught by Heather Pardon
- 1 15-oz can of black beans
- 1-2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded & finely chopped
- 1 tbsp of cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp of cumin
- 1/2 cup of cilantro, chopped
- zest & juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup of water
- Drain & rins the beans, set aside
- Cook onions in oil at medium heat for 5 minutes, or until turning translucent
- Stir in spices & jalapeno pepper to the onion & cook for a little longer, adding more water or oil if shiz starts drying out
- Add beans, cilantro, lime zest & juice and mix well
- Pour in 1/2 cup of water & let it simmer until it is evaporated, about 20 minutes
ps. I’m going to see if she’ll do a guest blog post about her Huevos Rancheros recipe because it was possibly the best thing I’ve ever eaten…