Have you ever read a cook book cover to cover?
Sure, you’ve probably flipped through several, pausing occasionally to fantasize while salivating. But read???
Well I’ve found the cook book for just that. You remember a couple weeks ago when I previewed Healthy Starts Here, well lemme skip to the point… it’s damn good.
For real. For serious. Go buy it now.
Okay, yes she’s my aunt. Yes, I think she’s fabulous because of that, BUT you should also know that it goes beyond that. The book is both hilarious & healthy. PLUS there are 4 fool proof dinner party menus & action plans. YAY! Dinner parties are so fun!!
Anyways, I’ve made 2 things out of it so far and both are rockstar recipes.
#1. Triple Chocolate Brownie Cookies………..
The experience with these was so intense that I forgot to take pictures, but I will next time. Promise.
#2. Mmm…. Asian Barley Salad
adapted from recipe in Mairlyn Smith’s Healthy Starts Here
ASIAN BARLEY SALAD
- 1 cup barley
- 1 cup frozen edamame beans, thawed
- 2 large green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup red-skinned peanuts
- 1 avocado, diced for garnish
- 2 tbsp natural peanut butter
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp lower-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp WASABI
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- Rinse barley & cook in 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 45 minutes to an hour. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork to separate the grains. Let sit, covered for 10 minutes. Cool for 30 minutes.
- Toss together barley, edamame & green onions in a salad bowl.
- For the peanut dressing, put all ingredients into a mason jar & shake the shiz out of it.
- Pour the dressing over the barley and mix well
The WASABI in this salad will blow the top off your head & clear your sinuses, if you want to reduce the amount to 1 tsp, I’ll understand. Although, I personally found the experience quite exhilarating.