These cupcakes are inspired by three things: a) my brother Andrew’s birthday, b) new manager Chantal’s recent promotion & b) our shared love of all things Mini Eggs.
A bunch of us from work got together this weekend to celebrate new beginnings for two important people at our Richmond store. Tammy, our wonderful current manager, is moving on to the fun new challenge of managing the newest Bridgehead store. And Chantal, our wonderful manager apprentice, will be taking over at the Richmond location. And so to celebrate both achievements, we got together for a potluck party at my friend Alisha’s. It was super fun to say the least and I ate my face off to put it mildly.
One of the fun things about potlucks is that you get to make something naughty and not have it hang around the kitchen tempting you for the next few days/hours – depending on your self-control. ENTER: The Mini Egg Cupcakes!
This was my first time making cupcakes… as in EVER. So I was a bit nervous. But not that nervous since I’d read several blog posts about where cupcakes had failed and knew the secret to a good cupcake is to have a damn good cake. So… I got my Grammy’s tried and true Best Ever Chocolate Cake recipe and here it is for you fine folk. Moist, flavourful & downright delicious. They couldn’t fail.
RECIPE: Mmm… Mini Egg Cupcakes
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1 ¾ cups of flour
- ¾ cups cocoa
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of sour milk (1 tbsp w. vinegar in milk)
- 1 cup of black coffee (3 scoops of coffee – I used Ethiopian Yirgacheffe of course – into 1 cup of boiling water in a Bodum)
- ½ cup of canola oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350
- Pour bowl #2 into bowl #1 and beat it until a loose batter
- Pour into muffin pan lined with cupcake papers & bake for 15-20 minutes
- Cool on baking rack
- 2 cups of sweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 350
- Pour coconut evenly over a parchment-lined baking sheet
- Bake for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to toast evenly
- ½ cup salted butter, room temperature, cut in cubes
- 5 cups of icing sugar
- 3 tsp of vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp of milk
- Beat butter & sugar together
- Gradually add vanilla extract & milk
- Spread vanilla icing onto cooled cupcakes
- Stick 3 Mini Eggs in the centre of the cupcake
- Sprinkle toasted coconut over top, pressing it into the icing to make sure it sticks