Okay, I’m kind of early… this is true. But Bridgehead’s Halloween party was last night and so it was kind of out of my hands. The great thing about the early is that maybe you can ‘borrow’ one of these costumes for your party!
The team at Bridgehead wanted a group costume so that we could all dress up together. Fun, right? That being the case, we needed a theme with a lot of individual costume potential…. hence…. Snow White & The Seven Dwarves.
(Apologies in advance for crappy picture quality. iPhones aren’t the best without a lot of light…)
Snow White & The Seven Dwarves
Yes, I was the Poison Apple! And OH! how I loved this costume. Comfy, cute, low maintenance, and best of all… I made it myself! FROM SCRATCH!
I grew up watching my mom sewing constantly. She sewed our clothes, she sewed our toys, and she quilted, too. You should see the stuff she makes. She is amazing! The problem is that I didn’t quite live up to that kind of example. I tried sewing many times but ultimately found it tedious.
And so, I’ve developed my own ‘sewing’ technique. It’s more like glue-stitch. And, what I’ve discovered is that this kind of sewing is actually very well suited to Halloween costumes.
If I can do it, then sew can you. (ha!)
HOW TO: POISON APPLE COSTUME
- 2 pieces of red felt (arm-span wide & shoulders to thighs high)
- 2 pieces of green felt (individual sheets about the size of photocopy paper)
- 2 pieces of white felt (individual sheets about the size of photocopy paper)
- 2 pieces of brown felt (individual sheets about the size of photocopy paper)
- red sparkly bling*
- 1 metal hanger
- Red & Black striped thigh-high socks
- Green & Black tights
- craft glue*
*found at the Dollar Store!
Click here to download visual diagrams.
- Place 2 pieces of red felt on top of each other and use marker to draw rounded corners on the top piece.
- Cut out corners on the top piece. Use top piece to cut out bottom piece identically.
- Pin together the seams that will need to be sewn together, keeping top, bottom & arm openings open.
- Hand-stitch or use sewing machine to sew seams
- Turn inside out.
- Draw scull and cross-bones ontop white felt and cut out.
- Glue them onto the front.
- Bedazzle it by gluing on the red bling!!! GO NUTS!
Leaf & Stem Headband
- Place 2 pieces of green felt on top of each other and use marker to draw leaf shape.
- Break apart hanger either using wire-cutters or bending it back and forth until it breaks.
- Glue the hanger between the two leaf pieces.
- Roll 1 piece of brown felt into a stem shape. You may want to stich the bottom of it to hold it together.
- Wrap thin strips of brown felt around the headband, securing the stem and leaf to it.
- Use pins to hold the felt firmly around the headband.
- Cut the ends of a pair of red/black striped socks (sexy thigh-highs work are the ideal length!) to wear as sleeves.
- Use blush as eye-shadow and all over your cheeks to get that Poison Apple glow.
- Finish off with green tights and sneakers!