First of all, I probably should’ve done a better job warning you about the other muffins. They are really not sweet and since most muffins are, the contrast can be quite shocking! I happen to like them unsweetened, but can understand that not everyone will agree. So in the spirit of not wanting to shock you peachy people, I have developed a sweetened version to the recipe in case your sweet tooth demands to be heard.
Also, I modified the measuring system so that it couldn’t be easier. You don’t even need measuring cups anymore! All you need to do is buy individual container apple sauce – like the kind you’d pack in your lunch. I love the PC Organics so obviously, that’s the kind I buy but I’m sure any kind will do – as long as it’s unsweetened!
Here’s the bit where you have to really pay attention. In the recipe below when I refer to 1 container, I mean 1 apple sauce container measurement of the ingredient. 2 containers, means… 2 containers.
Really! It’s that easy!
RECIPE: Sweet Apple Crisp Muffins
2 containers of skim milk
1 container of unsweetened apple sauce
1 medium apple (or 2 small ones) grated
1/2 container of maple syrup
2 containers of rolled oats
2 1/2 containers of wheat bran
1 container of whole wheat flour
1/2 container of flax seed
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
2 tablespoon rolled oats
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp maple syrup
12 thin apple slices
- Preheat oven to 400°C
- Combine wet ingredients
- Add rolled oats, grated apple and cinnamon to wet ingredients and let them sit for 5 minutes
- Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (make sure baking soda & baking powder are well combined into mixture)
- Mix wet and dry ingredients together, adding raisins if desired
- Combine ingredients for topping
- Divide batter into 12-muffin pan and sprinkle each muffin with topping and finish off with an apple slice
- Bake for 20-25 minutes